Eric Drake, Malcom Holman, Martin Holman, and Moses Holman came together in college with the goal to create music. Their band, Soul Flow, combines music from all different walks of life to create one beautiful melody with thoughtful, hip-hop style lyrical content. Originally from St. Louis, Soul Flow has uprooted and touched down in SoCal to pursue their passion, and we got the chance to ask them about their journey and what drives them to create.
1. How did you all meet and form Soul Flow?
Soul Flow started with just a few musicians in college that wanted to make music together. We used to spend a lot of time just jamming out with each other that we became so in sync with each other’s playing.
2. Our name, REVOLT, means to Revolt against anything holding you back and live the life you’ve always dreamed of. How did you choose your name, and what does it mean to you?
The name Soul Flow came about because we all have different genres of music that we all are in to. We all wanted to combine it together and make it one giant “flow” We kind of just play whatever music comes out of us…Soul Flow is the music that comes out of us
3. Who or what inspired you to make music, was there a defining moment when you knew you’d be a musician?
I would say that, for all of us, it was a matter of seeing how music impacts that world on so many levels and being able to impact others. Music is around us and it has given us so much, this is our way of giving back and saying thank you to music
4. What does the process of making a song look like for Soul Flow?
The process is honestly coming together and “jamming out.” If something sounds good, we just build off of it.
5. What musicians are you most influenced by? If you made a top-five of all-time playlist, who would be on it?
Top 5 would be: Kendrick Lamar, Victor Wooten, J. Cole, John Mayer, and George Benson.
6. How would you describe your sound to someone who’s never heard it before?
I would say imagine being at a pop concert with rap at the center, and jazzy progressions.
7. You often talk about different issues and messages in your lyrics, what overall message would you like to spread to your listeners? What can someone learn from listening to you?
We would like to inspire our listeners to never give up on your dreams and to always do what you love. Living a life with big ambitions is not easy, but the journey makes you feel so alive.
8. We know you’re originally from St. Louis, what brings you out here to the west coast? Has your sound changed since you’ve moved?
We came to the West Coast because there are obviously more opportunities for music out here. Our sound is still the same, but our lyrics are more meaningful and personal to us and our journey.
9. We saw you are planning on releasing an EP soon! What can we look forward to hearing? Any theme or message, stand-out lyrics, or new sounds we should be anticipating?
Our EP is more about us and our journey, the struggles, the ups, the downs, and everything in between.
10. What advice would you give your listeners who are on similar journeys to make their own dreams a reality?
I know its cliché, but never give up, the journey will be hard, and sometimes you might question if it’s even worth it, but at the end of the day, you don’t want to live a life filled with regret and thinking about what you could have done.