Erick Tyler and The Vibe
San Diego local band Erick Tyler and the Vibe is just wrapping up their summer tour this year and heading into the studio. Known for their soulful covers and smooth originals with a California twist, we caught up with the band to ask what inspires them to create music and what the future holds.
1. How did you all get your start in music, and how did you all meet originally?
Erick – I started playing guitar when I was 9 years old. I was turned on pretty instantly to that feeling music gives you. Plus, my whole family is into music. My grandparents played against The Beach Boys in the battle of the bands.
Caelan – I started playing with local bands when I was in high school. I met Erick through the grapevine & we’ve been getting down ever since.
PJ – I played music in Syracuse, New York for 12 years and wanted to expand to the west coast. I was fortunate enough to meet Erick and Caelan. Erick and I were both solo artists before we met. He found me doing my session work / solo recordings online.
2. How would you guys describe your sound to someone who’s never heard it before?
Our sound is like if Rock n Roll, Funk and Reggae had a baby.
3. What musicians do you think influences you the most? Got any all-time favorites?
Erick – The Doors, Stone Temple Pilots, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen & RHCP.
Caelan – The classics, I like me some soul and some funk too.
Pj – Growing up it was always Punk Rock and West Coast rap. Rancid, NoFX then Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre. I grew up on Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack so my influences go really off the rocker, even spanning to Dave Matthews Band, Snarky Puppy and old jazz.
4. You guys do a lot of covers, how do you go about making them into your own style?
We just play the tunes 🙂 . We’re more interested in getting our original music out there. But yeah, I mean we treat every cover with the same passion we would as an original + add our own twist to it.
5. Is there any particular song or artist that you like to play the most?
Originals, Shania Twain, and Ariana Grande.
6. Our name, REVOLT, means to Revolt against anything holding you back and live the life you’ve always dreamed of. How did you choose your name, and what does it mean to you?
It’s all about the vibes. Can’t you feel it?! They’re all around us… plus it looks dope on a t-shirt.
7. Speaking of your name, how would you describe your vibe? Is there any particular vibe you look for in audiences or in people in general?
We like people who like to get down and enjoy the music. Everybody’s got a different energy but no matter what we always try to bring the vibrational frequency of the room up.
8. We know you have more than a couple original songs under your belt, how do you go about creating these originals, do you all have a process or is it more natural?
I just wanna say this, the process of making music is very organic. You get an idea, a melody, a lyric & then you put energy towards creating it. When we’re all working in harmony, that’s when the song comes out the best. When we were on tour we wrote a bunch of new songs and they all stemmed from the positive energy we were experiencing on the road.
9. Where do would you all like to see the band in the future? Is there an album in the works?
The future is now, we’re recording 4 new songs this month. We’ll be releasing them as singles pretty soon. Then we plan on recording another album, probably 8-10 songs. We’ll have those out as soon as possible for your auditory pleasure 🙂
10. What advice would you give your fans who are on similar journeys to make their own dreams a reality?
Don’t care what other people think. Don’t settle for no mess, always try to get what you want. Good tunes, good jive…that’s what it’s all about.